Frequent question: What documents do you need to get married in DC?

To get a Washington, DC marriage license, couples will need to show proof of age with a valid driver’s license, a government-issued identification card or a passport to the Clerk of the Court at the DC Marriage Bureau.

How do you get legally married in DC?

The minimum age for marriage in the District of Columbia is 18, or 16 with the consent of a parent or guardian. The marriage license application fee is $45.00 ($35 of this fee will be waived if the applicant’s’ original DC Domestic Partnership Certificate and is presented at the time of application).

Do you have to be a DC resident to get married in DC?

Neither party needs to be a DC resident in order to get married in DC. … Unlike many other jurisdictions, Washington, DC only allows marriages to be performed by an officiant authorized by the court – you can not have someone perform your ceremony who isn’t authorized by the DC Court Marriage Bureau office.

Can you get married same day in DC?

Since The District of Columbia no longer have a waiting period, you will receive your DC marriage license the same day. Therefore, you can apply for your DC marriage license the same day you’re scheduled to marry.

IT IS SURPRISING:  Frequent question: How much is a wedding deposit usually?

Do you need witnesses to get married in DC?

No, witnesses are not required in Washington, DC. All that is needed for the marriage to be legal is the signature of the authorized, registered wedding officiant whose name is printed on your marriage license.

How long does it take to get marriage certificate DC?

The typical way that couples request sealed certified copies of their marriage license from the DC Court is by mail with a money order. This process takes anywhere from 4 to 8 weeks, sometimes longer, and there are often issues with the court either receiving or processing these requests.

Can you get married same day?

For those that are seriously ill and not likely to recover, a wedding or civil partnership, civil or religious, can take place any time, anywhere including your home or hospital 24 hours a day using a Registrar Generals Licence (RGL).

Who can officiate a wedding in DC?

any judge of a district court or any retired judge or justice of the Commonwealth. any active, senior or retired federal judge or justice who is a resident of the Commonwealth an authorized minister of any religious denomination. a one-time marriage celebrant + $500 cash bond (once petition is authorized)